CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tame it or Toss it: Fabric

I have been meaning to go through my fabric for quite some time now (like years.)  It is embarrassing how much I have collected and how much of it was really just garbage.  I used to have craft booths at a couple of different boutiques and used scraps all the time for sticheries and crafts that just needed a little piece or this or that.  So I had quite the collection.  Since I haven't had a booth since my twins were born and have decided no to get back into it, it's time to purge.  
So here it is, dust and all.  I had my fabric in the 7 plastic drawers shown below as well as a big blue tote.  
 I threw away anything that wasn't usable, I didn't love or would never use again.  I filled a whole kitchen garbage sack of stuff to toss and a smaller sack of stuff to donate.  Why am I holding on to two whole bags of stuff I don't even want?
 These, I love.  I folded the usable pieces that still loved into stacks by color and tied them up with Jute.  Some pieces are fat quarters, some are close to a yard and a few are quite small.  I also kept a collection of Christmas pieces I am saving to make a quilt and the two stacks on the right, florals and the really bright ones, for my daughter Kenzie who has been begging my to learn how to sew.  They will make some cute, simple little projects to get her started.
 All of my little stacks fit into one of my drawers.  I used the other drawers for the larger cuts of fabric and labeled them for quick access.  Sadly I will always be in the middle of unfinished projects, so I might as well have a drawer for it.  Right now there is a bed skirt and pillow shams I was working on to cover an ugly metal bed frame in my little girls room, but  in the process we found an awesome bunk bed with trundle for $40.00 that I repainted and replaced their old metal bunk bed with.  So for now I have no need for the Shams and Skirt and I am in search of a new idea to use the fabric for.  I may just end up making a small quilt to hang or a ragged rug for in front of their bed...who knows?
 So that's it....all condensed to four drawers and three small totes that weren't being used.  The totes on the right aren't labeled yet...I need to grab more vinyl, but they'll say Tulle, Felt and Yarn.
and.....I now have an empty set of drawers for my little girls room.  I added their names and am going to let them fill it with their special toys or other items that they don't want just mixed into the other toy buckets.  I also have this extra blue tote now.  Not sure what I'll be filling it with yet, but they are always handy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment